skip to Main Content
01274 582 514 01274 588 397

Key Contact: Mrs Laura Metcalfe

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) ‘Local Offer’

Glenaire Primary School is committed to offering an inclusive curriculum to ensure the best possible progress for all our pupils whatever their needs or abilities. We strive to ensure that all pupils achieve their potential personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum. We fully embrace the Every Child Matters (ECM) programme and are committed to ensuring that all children in our care have access to exciting learning opportunities that fully meet their needs. At Glenaire Primary School we recognise that all children are different and unique, therefore their needs are individual and unique.

This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we ensure we support all of our pupils, including those with SEND, in order that they can realise their full potential. It may not list every skill, resource and technique we employ in order to achieve this as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the challenging requirements for individual pupils.

Children are identified as having SEN when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions, resources etc. put in place do not enable improvement. Termly assessment data is analysed by the SENCo to identify these children and meetings with class teachers are help to ensure appropriate interventions and support are put in place. Parents and carers are consulted to enable secure understanding and environment. Outside agencies, such as, Speech and Language, Educational Psychologists, are also consulted when needed to provide specialist support.

Other useful documents such as our SEN policy and Inclusion police are available on the school website. If you would like any further information about what we offer here at Glenaire then please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

What is a Special Educational Need or Disability? 

Children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty that calls for additional and different provision to be made for them.

Children have a learning difficulty if they:

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age.
  • Have a disability that prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age.
  • Are under compulsory school age and fall within the definitions above or would do if special educational provision was not made for them.

(2014 SEN Code of Practice)

How are Special Educational Needs or Disabilities identified and assessed at Glenaire Primary School?

Initial concerns about a child’s progress or development may come from:

  • Your child’s class teacher expressing concerns that their progress has slowed or stopped or that they are finding learning, or any other area, especially difficult.
  • Our rigorous termly assessment cycle highlighting that a child has not made the progress expected or that they are falling behind other children of their age.
  • A health professional such as a GP or Health Visitor following a medical concern or diagnosis.
  • Previous Educational settings such as Nurseries or Children’s Centres.
  • You, speaking to the class teacher or SENCo* about anything that you have noticed at home.
  • Your child, expressing concerns about their own development or progress.

Once it has been identified that there may be a Special Educational Need or Disability the class teacher, in consultation with the SENCo, will identify where the need lies and what gaps in learning need to be addressed. From here we will consider what your child’s short term targets should be and what ‘additional provision’ should be put into place to help them to meet their targets. The school will invite you and your child to contribute to this process and will ensure that your views are fully taken into account when considering what provision may be appropriate.

Who should I speak to about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disabilities? 

Your child’s class teacher

Is responsible for:

  • Monitoring the progress of all children.
  • Providing Quality First Teaching that is carefully adapted to the needs of pupils to ensure that all children reach their full potential.
  • Identifying, planning and delivering any additional support that may be needed. This might include targeted learning, small group work or a personalised curriculum.
  • Discussing any initial concerns with you and highlighting these concerns to the school’s SENCo.
  • Writing and evaluating Individual Educational Plans and sharing these with you.
  • Ensuring that they follow the school’s SEND policy.
  • Ensuring that any other adults who work with your child in school are aware of their strengths and difficulties. Helping other adults to deliver the planned program to help your child to meet their targets.

*The SENCo- Mrs Laura Metcalfe

Is responsible for:

  • Writing the school’s policy for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
  • Coordinating all of the provision for pupils with Special Educational needs or Disabilities.
  • Ensuring that you are:
  • Made aware of any concerns regarding your child’s progress.
  • Involved in supporting your child’s development.
  • Involved in evaluating and reviewing their progress towards set targets.
  • Liaising with any other people or agencies who may be coming into school to support your child’s development.
  • Updating the schools SEND register (a system for ensuring that the needs of pupils with SEND are known.)
  • Ensuring that there are in-depth records of your child’s needs, targets and progress.
  • Providing support to teachers and teaching assistants so that they can help all children to reach their potential.

The Headteacher-Mrs Jo Wilkinson

Is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all areas of the school’s work including provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.
  • Working closely with the SENCo and class teachers to delegate responsibilities and to ensure that the needs of all children are met.
  • Keeping the Governing Body informed of any issues related to SEND.

The SEN Governor- 

Is responsible for:

  • Determining the school’s general policy and approach to provision for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in co-operation with the Headteacher.
  • Establishing the appropriate staffing and funding arrangements and maintain a general oversight of the school’s work.

What should I do if I have concerns about my child? 

  • If you have any concerns about your child’s learning or development you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • This can be done at parents evening or by telephoning the office on 01274 582514 to make an appointment.
  • If you continue to have concerns please ring to make an appointment with the SENCo.
  • If you are unhappy that your child’s needs continue to be unmet please contact the Headteacher.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child? 

  • Initially your child’s teacher will speak with you either at parents evening or at an arranged meeting to discuss their concerns.
  • They will listen to your views on your child’s learning.
  • They will discuss with you any additional support that they feel would benefit your child and will discuss short term targets for the coming term.
  • Where further support is needed the SENCo will contact you in writing to review the provision that has been put in place and to gain your views on your child’s progress.
  • This may involve the implementation of further in-school interventions or
  • Discussion about referrals to outside professionals.

What support is available for my child to support their Special Educational Needs or Disabilities? 

Quality First Teaching- Class teacher input through specially targeted teaching

  • Teachers have high expectations for all learners.
  • Teaching is based on in-depth knowledge of a child’s strengths and difficulties and builds on what they can already do or understand.
  • Teaching is carefully planned to help a child to meet their personalised targets or to fill an identified gap in knowledge or understanding.
  • Teaching takes into account a child’s preferred way of learning and may include the use of additional equipment.
  • The use of specific strategies (possibly identified by the SENCo or outside agencies) to fulfil your child’s needs.

Specific small group work

  • An intervention run by a teacher or Teaching Assistant which is specially focussed on helping a small group of children to meet their individualised targets.
  • May take place in or out of the classroom.
  • The adult leading this group will be trained to do so and will have a clear understanding of children’s strengths and difficulties.
  • Carefully planned to fill an identified gap in knowledge or understanding.
  • May include the use of additional equipment and will take into account pupil’s preferred learning styles.

Support from ‘Outside Agencies’ 

Where it is felt that a child has additional needs or barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and Specific small group interventions advice may be sought from professional agencies outside of the school.

This might include

  • Local Authority Services such as Learning Support Services, Educational Psychologist etc.
  • Agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT).
  • Medical professionals such as the School Nurse.

What would this mean for you and your child?

  • Your child will have been identified as having additional needs which the school feels requires more specialist input.
  • You will be contacted to discuss your child’s needs and will be asked to give your permission for a referral to a specialist professional to go ahead.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to more fully understand their needs and may make recommendations for strategies to meet their needs.
  • The school will discuss with you the conclusions and recommendations of the professional and what support/ strategies will be put in place to support your child.

Specified Individual Support

Where your child is identified as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support which cannot be provided from the budget available in school an Educational Health Care Plan (EHC plan) may be applied for.

What would this mean for you and your child?

  • Your child has been identified as needing a high level of individual support.
  • Specialist professionals will have been involved in trying to meet your child’s needs.
  • The school (or you) can apply to the Local Authority for a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal assessment in which your views and those of professionals who have worked with your child will be considered.
  • If the Local Authority agrees that your child’s needs are severe and complex enough to need a Statutory Assessment additional information will be gathered and will be used in the writing of an EHC plan.
  • You and your child will be asked to contribute to this.
  • An EHC plan will have long and short term goals for your child. It will set out the number of hours of support that will be provided by the Local Authority, how this support should be used and what strategies will be used to help your child to meet their goals.
  • You will be contacted to discuss a ‘personalised budget’ for your child’s additional provision.
  • The EHC plan will be reviewed at an annual meeting in which you and the professionals involved with your child’s provision will discuss their progress and set new short term targets.
  • If the Local Authority do not agree that your child’s needs are severe and complex enough to require a Statutory Assessment then the school will be asked to continue to provide personalised support.


Back To Top